07 December 2012

A European Christmas Market

Happy Friday folks! "Christmas tree ornaments" is the theme on my blog this week. I've been telling you about the new additions to our tree and the stories behind them.

Today's post is extra-special because it's something I was able to cross off my bucket list just last month. You see, I've always wanted to experience a Christmas market in Europe.

My husband and I spent the Thanksgiving holiday in England, and our gracious hosts enthusiastically took us to London's Hyde Park. 

The annual "Winter Wonderland" opened that weekend, and I was as excited as a child on Christmas day. Here it is, a European Christmas market!

Wooden houses trimmed with pine and fairy lights lined a path. These are shops selling beautiful crafts, unique gifts and tasty food.

 There's a skating rink...

 And a huge carnival with rides and games.
{Yes, we braved the rain!}

There's also a carousel {which I thought was frighteningly fast}. 

 There are stalls selling drinks like hot chocolate, coffee and 
mulled wine -- just the right antidote for the cold weather.

There were also German beer gardens offering savories 
like sausage and potatoes. 

 Handmade sweets to enjoy or take home.

But what I loved most were the crafts:

Santa Claus and Christmas trees made from wood

Canvas and burlap totes and leather bound journals  

Tea light holders with mosaic-like winter scenes 

Undoubtedly, I was drawn to the handmade wooden ornaments in various designs like nutcracker soldiers, hearts, stars, moons and drummer boys.

 I chose this set of angels holding musical instruments.
They're made in Germany.

Aren't they adorable? A lovely souvenir from my first European Christmas market. I really hope this will only be the first of many.  Have an awesome weekend, ya'all!

2 comments:

Your comments are very much appreciated!